One New Change :
There is no secret that people here at “shoppifo” love going to shopping malls. You do know that our official anthem is “let’s go to the mall” by Robin Sparkles, right? 🙂 Well … There is an another place we equally love going too .. A roof top terrace with 360′ view of the beautiful city …
Fortunately for us … there are many great buildings around the world that accommodate both. Shopping malls below their roofs and terraces on top of them . I F C Mall in Hong Kong, Gerngross in Vienna that featured in one of our articles, Emporia in Malmo, Sweden that boast biggest rooftop garden in Europe, the list goes on …
But while those malls and their rooftops are visited by thousands everyday and being considered “must visit places”, there is one Mall and it’s roof top terrace people describing as hidden gem, namely “One New Change” . Why? Because it is situated in the city of London.
That’s right, we all know that, in London, there are so many things one can do and see. Historical sights, museums, great theatres of West End, world class sporting events, restaurants, huge beautiful parks all waiting there to eat up your vacation time quicker than perhaps anywhere else in the world.
Even you have longer vacation time than others and managed to hit all of those places above to find time for shopping .. or you have been to all those places on your previous visits and all you want to do is shop … even then, as you started to shop around town, we can see that this little gem still be overlooked by lots of you …
Because because because all of you also know that there are 4 so / 3 many so so so so many many many places one can go shop in London .. Let’s see what come out from just top of our head ….
Hostoric malls like Harrods and Selfridges / Shopping streets such as Oxford Street and Old Bond Street / Markets like Spitalfields, Brick lane, Camden, Portobello Road / Mordern Malls such as Box Park and Westfield London plus other cool places to shop … Soho, Seven Dials, St Martin Courtyard … just from top of our head, honest …
But we still think you need One New Change. Put it, as we did, on your list of top shopping destinations of London if you could .. travelers, expats and locals. You will not regret it even if you’d have to leave out few of other shopping options you are being spoiled with by London.
Here are brief history of One New Change and few things that might persuade you to find at least few hours to go and spend time there ..
– The name One New Change come from it’s official address, 1, New Change Street
– It is developed and owned by FTSE 100 company Land Securities. They spent around 500 million pounds to build this modern marvel and officially opened it on 28 October 2010.
– It’s mordern design and it’s location being so close to historic St. Paul’s Cathedral created controversy during it’s planning and construction.
– This beautiful glass walled complex’s also been nicknamed Stealth Bomber due to it’s unique shape and distinctive modern design.
– It is located in the area of present day financial center of London which was also the city’s historic nucleus that was famous for its retail businesses. Many of the roads around One New Change are named after the products once sold in the area, such as Poultry, Honey Lane, Milk Street and Bread Street.
So why should you go?
Rooftop terrace and spectacular view it offer is the main reason of course but before we get to that … here are other great thing about this place …
– It is very conveniently located … within 5 mins walk from two tube station … “St Paul’s” on (red ) Central Line and “Mansion House” on (green) District Line & (yellow) Circle Line
– It is near one of the places you have to or should go there anyway .. Over 300 years old St Paul’s Cathedral … or
– Near finical district of London where your business meeting might take place
– It has all the home grown and international high street brands you love such as Next, Mango, Top Shop , Ted Baker , CK ,H&M and Swarovski ect ect.. Also a bit higher end shops like Hugo Boss, L K Bennett an drew much much more. Also has Boots and Mark & Spencer food hall
– It is very clean, shiny and Not Crowded at all which we love. Remember it still is the hidden gem and not a lot of tourists know this place although we are hoping some would know through this article. Even then, it won’t still be like other over crowded shopping places around town overnight.
– The food … second favorite thing we love about this place is the food. From good grab and go places to great restaurants offering burritos to burgers / Texas smoked steak to afternoon tea / Vietnamese street food to Pizza and Sushi to Sandawiches all so delish, and most delightful cupcakes @ Bea’s Cake Botique that you have got to try.
– Two of the most famous chefs GB has ever produced have their restaurants at One New Change. A barbecue restaurant and butcher called Barbecoa by Jamie Oliver and restaurant and bar named Bread Street Kitchen by one and only Gordon Ramsay. Those two restaurants and others open as late as 2 AM depending on which day you go, but close early on Sunday.
– Ok we are finally here via scenic glass elevator … at the sixth floor ….where the public terrace is …
– Great View of St Paul Cathedral and stunning 360′ view of London as far as eyes can see, including beautiful view across the south bank of the river Thames , await.
– It is free, no booking or no queuing involved and open everyday from 6 AM to midnight !
– Has so many sitting are across huge terrace that seem deserted at time.
– Viewing area is set back from the edge & beautifully barricaded thus no danger of falling over for your kids or yourself.
– You just soak in the amazing view from public area where, in summer, free screening of Wimbledon Tennis take place.
– They also have Madison, glamorous Restaurant & Cocktail Bar on roof top which open til midnight from Monday to Wednesday and Til 1 AM on other days except Sunday when they close around 9. Great lineup of DJs also spin there over the weekend creating such great vibes in that corner of the rooftop.
– Doesn’t that rooftop sound like it will definitely give you one of the great London experiences you would surely enjoy with your love or friends or family? For us, it surely does ! not to mention nice Shopping you can do in calm atmosphere at the floors below.
So … Give it a hour … give it two … one new change a place so cool , While London’s stars give shining light … sit atop the roof … til midnight ..
P.S : Well London can be gloomy and stars may not come out every night but terrace is beautifully illuminated at night …
Happy Shopping Happy Traveling Everyone